Name: Nivesh Pandey
Department: Humanities and Social Sciences, 3rd year.
Year and course: 3rd year, Integrated MSc
Hall of Residence: RP Hall of residence
Contesting for: Vice President, TSG
I propose to stimulate the extracurricular culture of IIT Kharagpur through various initiatives: –
Inclusion of three elected PG representatives, one each in Social and cultural, technology and sports and games to encourage more participation from the post graduate students.
Encourage gymkhana societies to participate in national competitions by allotting specific budgets to each society for external participation.
Creating common interest user groups amongst students to foster collaborative learning and exchange of ideas through forums on the gymkhana website.
Creating mail groups and information drive amongst freshers’ to improve participation, especially participation of PG students. Students can subscribe to the groups of their interest and receive regular updates about any new events and opportunities for participation. A presentation on extra-curricular activities shall be included in the PG freshers’ introduction
- Formalized sports Camp for sports enthusiasts for two weeks in summer vacations:
A summer camp will be organized for 1st and 2nd year students in different sports which will help improve the students’ skills and also develop budding talents.
Re-structuring of NSO selections:
Allow greater time duration for NSO selections, resulting in a more thorough selection procedure and provide each student the option to try out for two sports.
Management of Inter-IIT practice:
Plans shall be formalized for round-the-year practice for each game after discussion with members of the Inter IIT contingent. Specific requirements for various teams shall be carefully laid out. The Vice President, along with other student representatives shall oversee the implementation of these plans.
2. Formation of a central committee of students under the Vice president to work with the Hall Management Center to ensure proactive student welfare
The committee shall have one overall nominee for mess affairs and one for maintenance affairs. The Vice President along with these nominees shall be recognized by the institute as student representatives in the HMC with well defined roles and duties.
The committee shall convene regular meetings of General Secretary Mess and General Secretary Maintenance of each hall of residence to discuss various issues related to student welfare with the HMC and third parties. The minutes of the meetings and the decisions taken shall be made public for students to monitor the progress
The Student Committee shall identify reasons for concern in the various contracts ( mess, maintenance and security) and play a part in formalizing the tenders floated for such contracts ( eg: hall specific requirements, quality standardization, ISO certification etc). The committee shall also work towards attracting more participants in the floated tender.
The committee shall also work towards improving student amenities and conditions in the hostels.
3. I propose to improve the Training and Placement statistics of IIT Kharagpur by implementing the following measures:
Inviting research institutes, corporations and universities for placements at IIT Kharagpur with the help of students who intern at these organizations:
These students shall identify relevant points of contact on behalf of the placement committee and initiate first contact.
Organizing revision classes in various departments to refresh fundamental concepts:
Special revision classes will be organized in the departments to brush up the concepts and help the students better perform in written tests and technical interviews.
Organizing a Special course on Communication Skills:
A series of interactive sessions shall be organized in the Autumn Semester for students eligible for placements. The aim of the course will be to improve the communication skills of the students which will help them perform better in the Group Discussions and Personal Interviews.
Ensuring greater focus on internships for students through the following measures:
- Inclusion of a specific section in the Job Notification Form informing the companies about the availability of students for summer internships
- Contacting a greater pool of companies including start-ups and NGOs specifically for internship opportunities
4. Soliciting greater participation of students in administrative decisions pertaining to student welfare :
I shall make the Open House an integral part of the annual Calendar, with at least one open house session per semester. The agenda and minutes of the Open House will be circulated among all the students.
There will be a mid-term evaluation of the office bearers’ proposals which will be posted on the Gymkhana website. The candidates shall prepare an interim report to inform students about his initiatives and also solicit ideas and support from the student community for his initiatives
5. Online Transaction gateway:
A new facility of online transaction gateway will be made available to the students for payment of Library fine, transcript fees, Gym Fee, Swimming Fee, tennis membership fees etc.
- Core Team Head, Kshitij 2010 [www.ktj.in]:
- Instrumental in the conduction of the largest techno-management fest of Asia with sponsorship worth 1.3 crore, 43 quality events and over 20000 registered participants.
- Introduced a novel event, ‘Analyst’, on ‘Financial Strategies’ in association with NCDEX (National Commodity & Derivatives Exchange.
- Responsible for planning and execution of various events including ‘Zero hour’, ‘Excalibur’, ‘Woodstock’, ‘Forex’, ‘EL Dorado’ etc. Also, received lavish praise for introducing ‘Futures and Options’ trading in Woodstock.
- Undertook a social initiative to identify and address the inadequacies of the education system in rural areas in and around through the event ‘Gram Pragati’.
- Played a vital role in collecting corporate sponsorship worth Rs. 1.7 lakhs from Coal India Limited and NCDEX.
- Conducted 3 external workshops out of 7 in cities like Nagpur, Kolkata and Hyderabad which had the total participation of over 900 students.
- Successfully coordinated with teams from Rajiv Gandhi School of Intellectual Property Law (RGSOIPL) and Vinod Gupta School of Management (VGSOM) for the framework and execution of ‘Exemplar’ and ‘The Senate’ respectively.
- Core Team Member, Kshitij 2009:
- Publicized Kshitij in over 20 colleges of Uttar Pradesh and Kolkata which resulted in an unprecedented participation from these regions.
- Responsible for successful execution of events The Senate and Zero Hour. Both the events were introduced in this edition of the fest.
- Initiated contact with alumni which resulted in a contribution of over 30000INR.
- Helped organize the Freshers’ Orientation Programme for the 1st years of the academic session 2009-2010. Arranged logistics, guided and mentored the students and introduced them to the various Gymkhana Activities
- Inter-Hall Activities:
- Part of Rangoli Team in which RP hall won Gold (session 2009-10).
- Part of Dumb Charades team in open IIT which won Silver (session 2009-10).
- Part of bronze winning Choreography and English Dramatics team of RP Hall (session 2008-09).
- Part of AD Design team of RP hall (session 2008-09) which won Silver.
- Spring Fest 2008 Volunteer in Wildfire team.
- Others (School Level)- Best Athlete at St. Mary’s Academy, Meerut.
Gold Medals for High Jump for 2 years at St. Mary’s Academy, Meerut.
Note: The content above has been provided by the candidate and is his sole responsibility . The Scholars’ Avenue is not accountable for any error, textual or factual, in the transcript above.