Name: Ankit Singh
Department: Chemical Engineering
Year and course: Third year, B.Tech
Hall of Residence: RP Hall of Residence
Contesting for: Vice President, TSG
[Proposal groundwork as submitted to the Panelists can be found here]
1) My first proposal pertains to the setting up of an Energy Conservation Contest among the various halls of residence, the winner of which would be decided based on the calculation of the Energy quotient for each hall and the hall with min. Energy quotient will be the winner. In addition to the social benefits of such a contest, the top three halls will be suitably rewarded. (Appreciated by energy Ministry and by Director Kharagpur Quoted (“A great proposal and has been forwarded to Dean of Students Affairs for Implementation and Professor Pavan Kumar is looking in the technicality of the energy quotient along with the team.)
2) My second proposal is the creation of a ‘RIGHT TO INFORMATION’ forum on the Gymkhana website where any registered student can post a query to any Gymkhana Office Bearer and he/ she has to reply within 4 working days. The main objective of such a forum would be to introduce a measure of transparency in the working of the gymkhana and to keep every student updated about the work going on the proposals.( Promoted by deputy Director and Dean PG)
3) My third proposal is the Introduction of a course in GD/PI and interpersonal communication skills which would help in not only improving the students giving CAT and other such exams , but will also be beneficial for everyone appearing for placements. (Miss Anjali Gera Roy has agreed to take such a course and dean of PG promoted the idea.)
• Sponsorship and Media Head of Shaurya and was solely responsible for media tie-ups with corporate giants like The Times of India and Zee News. Responsible for bringing a significant amount of sponsorship including Title Sponsor(ITC), Major Sponsor(BSHPC) and few others. Accreditation of hockey event of Shaurya by Bengal Hockey Federation.
• Governor, Technology Literary Society and brought a significant improvement in the frequency of publication of the wall magazine, Hang-On from once in a semester to once in a month.
• One of the student mentors for students of IIT Bhubaneswar.
• Represented RP hall of residence in Inter Hall English dramatics and 400m hurdles.
• Part of the pioneering team of Shaurya and was actively involved in all the three facets of the fest namely Sponsorship, Publicity and Events.
• Active Member of Technology Literary Society.
• Represented IIT Kharagpur in the National Parliamentary Debate held at IIT Guwahati.
• Conducted Parliamentary Debate for the first time in Spring Fest 2009.
• One of the active members of the founding team of debate club.
• WON ChemSoft in Cheminsight, the annual fest of the Department of Chemical Engineering.
• Did a summer internship with Aditya Birla Group in the Nuvo Carbon Nevukoot Unit.
• Elected as Athletics Secretary, Technology Students’ Gymkhana.
• Expedited Renovation of Jnan Ghosh Stadium and its maintenance throughout the year.
• Reduction of fees paid by 1st years at the end of 2nd semester from Rs. 2250 to Rs. 1500.
• Inspite of all this work, managed to get a CGPA of 8.67 at the end of 1st year which resulted in a department change from Department of Metallurgical Engineering to Department of Chemical Engineering.
• National Science Olympiad Gold medalist, KVPY fellow and JBNSTS scholar.
Note: The content above has been provided by the candidate and is his sole responsibility . The Scholars’ Avenue is not accountable for any error, textual or factual, in the transcript above.