Candidate Name: Rinshul Chandra (Chemical Engg, RK Hall)
Student Manager, Entrepreneurship Cell, IIT Kharagpur (2011-12)
- Overall Coordinator of Global Entrepreneurship Summit 2012
- Head of Corporate and Media Relations team
- Successful in raising corporate sponsorship of 17.95 lacs
- Head of the Web & Creative teams
- Took the initiative to launch STARTin, an exclusive internship portal for the students of IIT Kharagpur
- Organized workshops by FICCI on Intellectual Property and Idea Conference by NSEF
- Part of the team which initiated Empresario 2012, E-Cell’s global Business Plan competition
Associate Manager, Entrepreneurship Cell, IIT Kharagpur (2010-11)
- Successfully conducted the Entrepreneurship Awareness Drive (EAD) 2010 in the cities of Patna & Bangalore; EAD Patna was the first-of-its-kind event in the city
- Raised sponsorship of INR 2.1 lacs and fixed several media partnerships
- Responsible for collaborations with several organizations for mentorship and judging of competitions such as Ashoka, Sammaan Foundation etc.
- Responsible for the final judging of Concipio 2010 during the GES’11, where 3 teams were offered a seed funding of INR 10 lacs each
- Publicized the EAD’10 and GES’11 in several colleges in Patna, Kolkata, Bangalore etc.
- Co-Captain of RK Hall’s Bronze winning Illumination 2011
- Part of RK Hall’s gold winning Basketball team 2011
- Part of RK Hall’s bronze winning Choreography team 2011
- Part of RK Hall’s Product Design team 2012
- Part of RK Hall’s Quiz team 2012
- Part of the team which won second position in Nightshift organized by Kshitij 2011
- Part of the team which won First position in Jumble the good word organized by Springfest 2012
- Won 3rd position in Open IIT Quiz 2010
- Won 2nd position in Open IIT What’s the Good Word 2010
- Took a social initiative with fellow first years, providing counselling and study materials to over 3000 competitive exam aspirants free of cost
Curricular Achievements, Internships and Projects
- Have maintained a CGPA of 8.74 (at the end of 5th semester)
- Was successful in making a department change at the end of first year
- Was one of the four selected for internship at Hindustan Unilever (HUL), the first internship opportunity in campus
- Recognized as E leader by the National Entrepreneurship Network (NEN)
- 6 internships and projects during the last 3 years
- Project ‘Constituency based Development Diaries’ endorsed by Deputy CM, Bihar
- Pioneered ‘Sammaan Swasthya’ under Sammaan Foundation, Patna
- Project Discover Stars in collaboration with IIM Ahmedabad
- Industrial Trainee at TATA Steel, Jamshedpur
- Patent valuation in Inolyst Consulting Pvt. Ltd., Bangalore
- Executive recruiting at ITEN Corporation, Texas
- To create a Public Relations Cell to ensure that developments in the institute and achievements of its students and faculty are highlighted through appropriate channels. The functions of PR Cell shall be:
- Publicizing achievements of IIT Kharagpur through different media channels, to increase the brand image of institute, at 3 different levels: Institute, faculty, and students;
- Conduction of all-India conclaves under the aegis of IIT Kharagpur for industry-academia-alumni interactions and collaborations on contemporary issues
- Creation of an online repository of research papers published in the institute to showcase IIT Kharagpur’s research prowess and attract the brightest research scholars to the institiute
- Creation of official social media profiles of IIT Kharagpur, including Facebook, Titter, and YouTube channels which will include videos of lectures and panel discussions on nationally and internationally relevant topics.
- Development of regular newsletters for circulation of news about institute developments and achievements to students, alumni, faculty and media houses through a newsletter
- Making an institute brochure to be circulated in media houses, corporate and colleges
The Cell shall be headed by Managing Director, Institutional Development Programme (IDP) and shall comprise of:
- 2 General Secretaries
- Public Relations Chair, Technology Students’ Gymkhana for providing internal news input related to the TSG.
- Content developer for preparing all written content.
- Video Secretary
- Design In-charge
- Website development head
- Events head
The team will have at least one PG student and one Research Scholar, for effective information dissemination about their achievements.
- Improvements in the functioning of the Training and Placement Cell to facilitate smoother working
- Increase the size of the Placement Committee to 12 (including Vice President, TSG)
- Increase the role and responsibilities of Departmental Representatives and enhance their functions to :
- Organizing for crash courses for Department students in relevant fields
- Maintaining a detailed database of companies and the experiences of the students who got selected/ shortlisted for them to facilitate better preparation for placements
- Tracking the off-campus placements, application and admission to various universities at departmental level
- Providing professional career counseling to final year students for choosing between different career options in the months of July, August and September, for the academic year 2012-2013. For subsequent years, career counseling will be provided to pre-final years in the months of March and April
- Initiate regular meetings of Placement Committee with Professors-in-charge of Training and Placement in the departments to ensure smooth coordination between the same
- Endeavor to increase the participation of start-ups, including conduction of Start-up Weekend, in the placement session, banking on my experience with STARTin
- The creation of a Foreign Application Cell will be a dedicated group aimed to guide and support students interested in applying for higher studies and research abroad. The objectives of this Cell shall be:
- Counseling students on available opportunities and providing assistance in helping them send comprehensive applications.
- Information Dissemination on relevant courses in top universities across the world through a web portal.
- Organizing Workshops on Cutting edge Research opportunities
- Counseling will be available for 6 months starting from July and continuing up to January.
- Students can book their slots with the counsellor for advice on focus areas of research, making of resumes and smoothening the application process
Formed under the aegis of Dean, AA & IR, the Application Cell shall comprise of a full-time Counsellor and the following student members:
- Vice President (ex-officio member)
- 3 student members
- 1 website administrator
- Changes in the basic and structural functioning of the Central Library for the benefit of the students of IIT Kharagpur, which are:
- Implementing the state-of-the-art Radio Frequency Identification (RFID) facility in the Central Library, with drop-boxes for returning books at different strategic points in campus which shall ensure easier issue and return of books, simplified patron self check-out / check-in and automated materials handling
- Ensuring that library hours are extended to 24 hours a day during examinations time, commencing from 10 days prior to the examination time
- Creation of Cultural Technology Dramatics Society (CTDS) which will consist of all the dramatics societies promoting the diverse culture in vernacular languages spoken by students of the campus under Technology Students’ Gymkhana, to encourage and ensure greater participation of the student community in campus in various social-cultural activities under the Gymkhana.
- Amendments to be made in the way PG halls of residences’ mess tenders are awarded:
- PG halls’ messes tenders be bid for the entire span of 12 months rather than the two 4 months’ semesters as of now.
- UG halls’ messes Tenders continue to be the same.
This proposal aims to solve the hassles faced by PG and RS students who often stay back in the vacations to pursue their research. They face a problem regarding meals especially in the 2 months summer and one month winter break.